Sunday, August 12, 2012

Visible Monday: Bobbing Back to the Surface

Finally beginning to feel a little more visible again.  I'm participating this week in Patti's Visible Monday......    www.notdeadyetstyle.blogspot.com

My two grandbabies are almost here....one is due Sept 6th, the second one is due Sept 13th.  So I certainly need to be getting ready for all night rocking sessions!  What to wear, what to wear?

We went to a car show Saturday evening and this is what I wore. 



Dress: Lands End, $1 at thrift store, cut 10" off the bottom and rehemmed. It has pockets!
Red Leather Belt with Silver Hearts:  Wild Man Vintage in downtown Lawrence, Kansas $7
Shoes: Mootsies Tootsies navy sandals, $1 thrift store.
Watch: Big Lots close-out several years ago. I wear it alot.
Earrings:  Silver hearts that I've had for decades. 
Sunglasses:  99 cents at the grocery store (cause I scratch them up and lose them all the time)

I recently carried several dresses down to my cutting table and whacked them off at knee length - this was one of them.  So much better!  Why do I hesitate?  Sometimes I feel like I should leave a dress as it was originally designed - that somehow it holds value and I would ruin it.  Then I spent a day with Phil at Wild Man Vintage in downtown Lawrence, Kansas who has been in the vintage buy and resell business for twelve years.  He took me to his basement to see the back stock.  Very similar to what is discussed in the book "Overdressed" ......stacks to the ceiling of vintage for resale.  Think its difficult to find a 70's polyester wild print shirt?  He probably had 300 of them.  Acid washed jeans - again, 100's of pairs stacked up ready for college Halloween shoppers.  Mens sportscoats? Racks and racks of never worn, dead stock jackets from store closings, plus stacks of used jackets. 

Believe me, unless a vintage item is designer, very old (older than 1950')  and in absolutely perfect condition.....its okay to alter it to get use from it today!  Our planet is buried in barely used clothing.  I will never again feel bad about chopping something to give it a second life!  My new motto is ......sell it for 99 cents on ebay?  stack it up in my basement and hope someone wants it?  or chop it off and get 99 cents worth of enjoyment from it myself? 






5 comments:

Patti said...

Yay for you, customizing your dresses! This dress looks fabulous, just right. There is an abundance of pre-owned clothing out there, so why not make it sing? Thanks so much for linking up to Visible Monday : >

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

This is a great dress and the price is right! You look really good in the shorter length! have a wonderful week!!

sylvia @ 40PlusStyle said...

Very flattering dress and you are right to alter it too knee length. Always a very good length for dresses and skirts!

Alex said...

I really like the belt you've teamed with your dress, it works well!

Terri said...

I'm impressed that the chopping gives this dress a youthful feel and it's perfect for an evening out. I've not discovered Phil's shop in Lawrence (and we've been there twice in the last 2 weeks). Must remember to check it out.