Friday, April 13, 2012

If It Looks Like A Duck, and It Walks Like a Duck....Oh Look, Someone Sent Me A Beautiful Swan!

I've been buying and selling online for a decade.  I was one of those people who had a home computer in the early 1980's - those big clunky desktops that were "86's", as opposed to "286", "386" or "486".  A LONG time ago!

Right now, Paypal is holding up a transaction I made this morning.  I am waiting on their decision and I can't sleep until this gets resolved.  I stand to lose $900 because of my own stupidity.

I read alot of online chatter about how Paypal is charging too much; how they have too much control over our online lives; how its really none of their business how we all conduct our personal business.  And then today, Paypal may be the only thing that saves my ass.

So, as I look back on what happened to me I am frustrated and disgusted that I did such a stupid thing; that I let someone talk me into such an outrageous situation.  And as I stood in the shower a long time tonight to ease my stress, I thought, "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck" ......hell, even Paypal's robots flagged it as a duck.......why didn't I see the duck?

And I collided with my core humanity.

The duck arrived.  But I didn't notice the quack or the waddle.  My heart saw the swan that I have always wanted; that finally, finally after a lot of hard work and striving I would get my swan.   And I was so excited!  For about eight hours....until the damn thing just wouldn't quit quacking and I went online to google whether or not anyone else had the same experience - did anyone else have a beautiful swan that made such an obnoxious noise?  What was that noise?

It was a DUCK!!!!!!  I was shocked.  Now I am just extremely embarrassed and afraid that my human weakness caused an irreversible financial loss for my family.  

Paypal is holding the money and making a decision within seven days.  I am very, very grateful for their robot software scan that screamed "DUCK!".  At least it gave me eight hours to think things through and research my situation.  I talked with a Paypal representative earlier tonight.  He was very kind and respectful even though I am positive he sees this kind of thing everyday in his job.  He wasn't able to assure me of anything because I authorized the transaction.  Yes, with my own ten fingers, I created the transaction this morning in my excitement over my new swan and asked Paypal to send the money.

But it is still possible, thanks to all of their protection systems, that they may decide to return the disputed money that is in their holding accounts to me rather than send it on.  If so, they will receive 100% credit from me for saving myself from my own stupidity.  I will always be grateful to them for what they have done, even as I wait for their process to work and don't know the end result yet.

So, what is the lesson here?  I would like to tell you to be careful.  Practice online safety and common sense........."If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.......  Or how about "if it sounds too good to be true, it is."   You've heard all these, right?

None of it stopped me from making this mistake.  Why?  Because I am a smart, informed, experienced woman.  Of course I know these things to be true.  I have been interacting on the internet since the internet was invented.  I have thousands of successful transactions under my belt.  Heck, I even taught internet safety at one time.  I would never fall for such nonsense.......

But I did fall.  And the reason I stumbled is because I deserve a swan.  The reason I fell was because having a swan is not "too good to be true".  It is entirely possible that my years of hard work and passion might someday pay off.  I deserve to have good things happen to me.  It's okay to dream of the swan.  I have earned the possibility of receiving my swan.  And I believe there are swans in this world and people receive them.

I just don't think the critter I received over the past few days was actually my swan........I'm thinking now it was definitely a big, ugly, random duck.  So you'll have to excuse me.  I have to go back to shoveling duck poo...... and checking my Paypal status.  It's going to be a long seven days!

2 comments:

Terri said...

Kitty--I had a similar worry when I so badly wanted a swam of a Hermes scarf in January. But, I lack the experience you've had...and use my PayPal very sparingly. I hope that things do work out in your favor.

Kitty said...

Paypal sent the money back to me. I should be able to get myself 100% out of this situation tomorrow. Thank goodness the people at paypal are on alert to protect those of us who are too trusting.

Have you read "Bringing Home the Birkin" yet? I really enjoyed reading about Hermes scarfs and their supposed scarcity. It almost made me want to own one just for the storytelling value!